10 November 2011

Hello Hanoi

It's been two weeks in Hanoi and finally I feel ready to write this blog post. Stacks has happened in just 14 days - it feels like time is flying. In no particular order, the highlights thus far include:
1. A week ago we moved into a great house in the central district of Hai Ba Trung, and already it feels like home. Our street (as you might have guessed) is Vân Hồ III.  In addition to myself, it houses three other AYADs (Aussie volunteers), a bird, 4 fish, and a very healthy but unwelcome rat. It has 4 bedrooms plus a guest room (holiday anyone?) a fantastic terrace rooftop, my room has a super cute balcony, and as of yesterday, we even have hot water.


I'm still waiting on the call from Vogue Living Vietnam...


Kitchen complete with mural and fishpond water feature - 
hello mosquito breeding ground.


Lounge room (note super soft and comfy 
wooden couches).


Transport storage unit.


Our terrace - such cosmopolitan living.


2. I've stopped taking photos of people riding motorbikes carrying ludicrously oversized objects. If it's anything less than a 3 piece lounge suite or 28 dozen eggs, you're boring me.


3. I've started work and all is going well. I'll post more info about my host org and colleagues down the track, but basically it seems I couldn't be luckier when it comes to my work here.  Everyone has been incredibly friendly and welcoming - even greeting me with this huge bunch of flowers. I think you'll agree that floristry in Australia has a long way to come...




4. I've eaten street food everyday and haven't been hospitalized yet. BBQ pigeon and snail spring rolls included.


Our street spread - a whole $2.40 worth.


5. My language skills still suck - but on the weekend I bartered and got a good price on a mattress and doona cover, and got them home, all on my own! I was less successful in bartering down the price of my new mobile phone - but did come home with a free Samsung drink bottle.


6. The lady at the end of our alley  who makes me breakfast (seasoned omelette in bread with cucumber, coriander, fired shallots and chilli sauce) knows that I like 2 eggs instead of 1, without me having to ask.


Weetbix - Hanoi style.


Milestones aside, I'm still so new and green here. I feel like Hanoi is a mad, mad city and she's going to unleash some of her madness on me over the next year.


But on first impression, she might just be my kind of mad.

1 comment: